Monday, August 8, 2022

Talking Plainly

My name is Noor Mohamed b Mohd Yousof

This blog is a platform where I post my personal views on varieties of matters. I am trying to be BIPARTISAN as much as possible but I have my own personal stand on issues. I don't wish to persuade anyone to agree or disagree with my views here. I am just sharing my two cents worth of opinions and talking plainly, please do disagree with me.

Whatever is posted here will have to go through some sort of factual standard. I might do some simple research and provide a basis for my arguments. I might change my mind.  I might even contradict myself and as I aged my opinions will go through lots of revisions and upgrade. I will try to write in simple English.

I am 50 years old. My educational background is nothing impressive but just completed a Bachelor's Degree in IT (Mobile Computing) from Open University Malaysia. 

I am from Penang. 

Penang is an Island and a state located in the northern part of Malaysia. In a letter from Captain Francis Light to the Government of India in Bengal in 1793 (seven years after the establishment of Penang), Francis Light described the main communities in Penang. He referred to 3,000 Chinese, who were involved in trades such as carpentry and masonry, and worked as shopkeepers and planters. They also adventured to surrounding countries in small vessels. The Malays, who formed the majority of the population, were described as being drawn primarily from Kedah, and to a smaller extent, other parts of the peninsula, Java, and Sumatra. They were largely wood-cutters and padi cultivators. Light also noted the presence of 100 Burmese and Siamese, and added that the Arabs, descendants of Arabs, and the Bugis were a part of Penang’s population. The Siamese was in Penang in 1786, when Captain Francis Light landed in Penang. They called the island Koh Maak((เกาะหมาก).

In the olden days, nobody knows where Malaysia is as we used to say the country above Singapore. Now and most recently thanks to the disappearance of MH370, everybody knows where is Malaysia. Even the word Penang has its origin somewhere as the Malays call it Pulau-Pinang which means The Island of the Areca Nut Palm in Latin Insula Areca Catehecu. I am from that island and I am proud to be a Penangite. 

That's about it folks.